The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/a/r/a/arambalakjian/html/forum/inc/class_core.php:2) - Line: 1535 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 5.2.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
[PHP]   errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 1535 header
/inc/class_session.php 360 my_setcookie
/inc/class_session.php 100 session->load_guest
/global.php 56 session->init
/showthread.php 21 require_once
Warning [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/a/r/a/arambalakjian/html/forum/inc/class_core.php:2) - Line: 1535 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 5.2.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_session.php 365 my_setcookie
/inc/class_session.php 100 session->load_guest
File Line Function
/inc/class_session.php 108 my_setcookie
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1596 my_setcookie
/inc/functions_indicators.php 52 my_set_array_cookie
/showthread.php 456 mark_thread_read

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Linux is almost totally bypassed here.
02-27-2010, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 02-27-2010 03:03 PM by Peterthinking.)
Linux is almost totally bypassed here.
It was so sad...I saw an option for Linux but this was all that was said.

"Linux is a completely free open source operating system, which means that as well as not changing for use of the OS, but the source code used to create it is also available for anyone to look at and use.

Linux is not recommended for beginners as it can be quite technical. However using it can be a very rewarding and worthwhile experience and once a good understanding of it is reached it is an incredibly powerful OS.

If you do decide to try it out we would recommend installing it as a secondary OS as well as windows. To do this you need to create a partition on your hard drive and install Windows on the first and Linux on the second partition."

And in the different sub headings such as "Budget PC","Media PC","Home PC" and "Workstation PC" all you showed for possible OS's was various types of windows programs.
Vista is $90, Linux is free....not listed as an option on your budget PC.
Got a small business? Vista ultimate retail...$342, you want Microsoft office too? Add another $194. Need to work with graphics? Photoshop $699 to $999 depending on licence...you could upgrade for $200 if you already paid for the full program though.
Oh you have 5 computers at work? Six grand or more for software?
By the way you'll need anti virus too....and a subscription for virus updates.
Tack on another $90 per computer per year.
Linux...free.
It has Open Office, (free and compatible with Microsoft)
It has Gimp ...it's like photoshop on steroids.(Free also)
Need 3D animation?
Maya for windows $5163.99
Linux Blender $0
Need CAD software?
Solidworks for windows $310
Qcad or Freecad for linux $0

Antivirus?
Windows....VITAL! buy it!
Linux....go ahead, it's free too.

Need a media PC?
Windows media centre PC $$$
Medibuntu Free, supported, updated and secure.

Hard to use? hard to install?
Yes, windows is a pain to install.

Ubuntu (a type of Linux)has dumbed down the install process to the point where ANYONE can do it.
You don't have to compile code or use the command line any more to use Linux.
You don't have to even install it at all. It will run off a CD and not even touch windows, Or you can install it beside windows. Just ask it and it will do it for you off the live CD.
If you can't burn a CD just ask Ubuntu, they will mail you a free one for no charge.

Linux is that fit chick you met at the gym, that "friend with benefits" who pays for her own meals, gets your jokes and likes your old car.
Windows is that old cougar who saw your Ferrari and trapped you in a loveless marriage by getting pregnant. She keeps giving you viruses.

Peterthinking
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2010, 03:15 AM
RE: Linux is almost totally bypassed here.
(02-27-2010 02:59 PM)Peterthinking Wrote:  Linux...free.
It has Open Office, (free and compatible with Microsoft) Also Available on Windows.
It has Gimp ...it's like photoshop on steroids.(Free also) Also Available on Windows. Don't know what makes you think it's better though?
Need 3D animation?
Maya for windows $5163.99 Also Available on Linux for the same price.
Linux Blender $0 Also Available on Windows.
Antivirus?
Windows....VITAL! buy it! There are free anti virus software available
Linux....go ahead, it's free too.

Your examples are extremely bad and are simply not based in reality. I'm sorry, but you need your head examining if you seriously think GIMP+blender are viable alternatives to Maya + Photoshop. They aren't!

I use linux. I use Maya (on linux). I have an Quadro FX5800 in my windows box. I also use photoshop (running in a windows guest OS on linux via virtual box). That's £2,249 for the graphics card, £2,709 for the Maya license, £1000 for photoshop, and £65 for a windows license for the VM.

When considering that setup, the £65 for windows is a pathetic drop in the ocean. Linux is no cheaper than windows in the real world.... Should also mention our company pays a number of full time linux technicians to support the PC's. If we were a windows shop we'd only need half of those guys saving quite a large cost in salaries that would more than offset the cost of windows.

(02-27-2010 02:59 PM)Peterthinking Wrote:  Need a media PC?
Windows media centre PC $$$
Medibuntu Free, supported, updated and secure.

FUD. Windows is supported, updated, and as secure as any other OS out there. Security through obscurity is not security.

(02-27-2010 02:59 PM)Peterthinking Wrote:  Hard to use? hard to install?
Yes, windows is a pain to install.

It's no worse than linux (assuming you hit no problems during the install). If you did hit problems, then it can't be an absolute nightmare for someone who doesn't have a seriously deep understanding of linux.

(02-27-2010 02:59 PM)Peterthinking Wrote:  Ubuntu (a type of Linux)has dumbed down the install process to the point where ANYONE can do it.

Not convinced by that POV. If you hit a problem in the install, fixing the problem can be exceptionally 'hard' for an average semi-computer-literate person (by that I mean a confusing trawl through various forums and blog postings until you *hopefully* find an answer).

I'm also not convinced that Ubuntu have 'dumbed' down the install process in any way shape or form. RedHat made the largest strides in this area 10+ years ago. Not much has changed since then really...

(02-27-2010 02:59 PM)Peterthinking Wrote:  You don't have to compile code or use the command line any more to use Linux.

You've obviously never had to install a driver.....

(02-27-2010 02:59 PM)Peterthinking Wrote:  If you can't burn a CD just ask Ubuntu, they will mail you a free one for no charge.

USB stick....

Quote:Linux is that fit chick you met at the gym, that "friend with benefits" who pays for her own meals, gets your jokes and likes your old car.
Windows is that old cougar who saw your Ferrari and trapped you in a loveless marriage by getting pregnant. She keeps giving you viruses.

That is by far the worst analogy I've ever heard. Utter tosh.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply